Bringing Family Members to Canada under Express Entry

Bringing Family Members to Canada under Express Entry

Surya Rathee Surya Rathee
[Published 12 Jun, 2024 | 05:27 PM]
About Author - 6 min read

Canada understands the value of keeping families together like no other country.

In the context of the Express Entry Program, family members are individuals who are considered dependents - and can be included in your application for permanent residence. However, these family members must meet certain eligibility criteria to be processed as part of your application.

Check Express Entry Eligibility in 60 Seconds

Family members, you can include in your Express Entry application

You can bring certain family members to Canada under the Express Entry program. These members are processed for permanent residence as your dependents. They include:

  • Your spouse or common-law partner: Your legally married partner or a common-law partner with whom you have been living for at least 1 year in a conjugal relationship.
  • Your dependent child: Your child who is under 22 years old and does not have a spouse or common-law partner. In case of physical or mental condition, a child over 22 years may be considered. 
  • Your spouse’s or common-law partner’s dependent child: The same eligibility criteria that apply to your dependent child.
  • A dependent child of a dependent child: Also known as your grandchild. You can include the child of your dependent child.

Family members you cannot include in your Express Entry application

Certain family members cannot be included in your Express Entry application. These include:

  • Your parents: While parents cannot be included in your Express Entry application. They can be sponsored for Canada PR later through Family Sponsorship Programs.
  • Your grandparents: Like parents, grandparents can be sponsored later through different Family Sponsorship Programs.
  • Your brother or sister: Siblings are not considered dependents under the Express Entry Program, and you cannot include them in your application.
  • Your uncle or aunt: Your extended family members such as uncles or aunts are also not eligible to be included as your dependents.
  • Your nephew or niece: Similar to uncles and aunts, your nephews and nieces cannot be included in your Express Entry application.
  • Your relatives: Other extended family members, apart from the ones mentioned above cannot be included as your dependents.

How to prove family ties for the Express Entry application?

You and your family members must provide proof of this relationship as part of your Express Entry application. This proof is usually a legal document that shows the relationship between the two parties. For instance, marriage certificates will prove the relationship with your spouse.

Whereas, for common-law partners, detailed evidence of their relationship will be necessary. In this case, you must also prove that you have lived in a conjugal relationship for at least 1 year. Utility bills, housing leases, and bank account documentation can be evidence of this.

You will also need to provide proof of relationship for your dependent children. For biological children, a birth certificate is accepted by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). For surrogates and adopted dependent children, may provide the relevant documentation as proof of relationship.

How to prove family ties for the Express Entry application?

Proof of funds to support yourself and your family members

In addition to the legal documentation required to prove your relationship, you must also prove that you can support yourself and your dependents during their stay in Canada. In Express Entry, you will be required to provide proof of funds through bank statements or other financial assets. The minimum amount of money you need to immigrate to Canada is based on the size of your family.

Number of family membersFunds you need (in Canadian dollars)
If more than 7 people, for each additional family member, add$3,958

CRS points for your spouse or common-law partner

Including your spouse or common-law partner in your Express Entry application can boost your points in the CRS score calculator. Your spouse can gain points for education, work experience, and language skills, which may have a positive impact on your score.

It is also possible that your spouse or common-law partner could have a better application than you. In that case, you should consider having them as the primary applicant for Express Entry.

Getting married during the Express Entry process

If you are planning to get married during your Express Entry process, you must notify the change in your marital status to the IRCC. This will help identify any updates regarding your family composition and your admissibility to Canada. Your admissibility is directly impacted by your dependent’s admissibility as well. So, whether or not your dependents are immigrating with you to Canada, you must complete this step.

Canada PR Visa Approval in 121 Days with Family | Nationwidevisas Reviews

The process of immigrating to Canada with family members under Express Entry can sometimes be a complex and time-consuming challenge. If you’re having trouble, seek a quick free consultation from the Canada immigration consultants at Nationwide Visas.

Get a free consultation session. Call us@ +91 92 92 92 92 81 or email us at

Good Luck!

Read More: Changing your marital status in Express Entry profile


We welcome your feedback

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Enquire Now

Stay up to date with latest news

Website-Pop-UpExpress Entry Next Prediction Draw
Check Your Eligibility! chatbot icon
chatbot icon Check Your Eligibility In 60 Seconds!