Germany Study Visa: Types, Requirements, Process, and Cost
Germany is one of the developed countries with excellent infrastructure and chances for international students. Germany offers many world-class colleges, bustling cities with art galleries and vibrant nightlife, and stunning scenic beauty. Education at a public institution in Germany is inexpensive because tuition fee is waived for both domestic and international students. Candidates seeking to study in an educational institution in Germany are required to have a Germany Study Visa.Begin your "Study in Germany" Journey with India's #1 Study Visa Masters!
If you are someone looking forward to studying in Germany, you are at the right place.
Here’s everything you need to know about Germany Study Visa.
Types of Germany Study Visa
A Germany Study Visa may be issued for a variety of study levels and degrees. Undergraduate, exchange, graduate, and postgraduate studies included. Participation in a pre-academic measure or a non-academic German language course is also covered.
You can apply for one of three types of Germany Study Visa:
- German Student Visa: This is the regular student visa for international students who have been accepted into one of Germany's official universities and are ready to begin their studies in a university program in Germany.
- German Student Applicant Visa: If you need to be in Germany to apply for university admission in person, you will require this visa. This visa does not allow you to study in Germany; it is only valid for the application process to universities.
Check Your Eligibility In 60 Seconds
- German Language Course Visa: This type of visa is required to study for a German language course in Germany.
What is the eligibility for a Germany Study Visa?
A German Study Visa can be granted to you if you’re expecting to attend any of the following study types:
- Full-time academic studies.
- German language courses for studies.
- Studienkolleg', a state preparatory college. A course you'll have to take as a foreigner whose high school degree isn't accepted in Germany. After finishing the course, you will take the "Feststellungsprüfung." If you pass the test, you will be awarded a certificate known as a university entrance qualification. This will allow you to apply for university admission in Germany with that in hand.
- Mandatory preliminary internship.
What are the requirements for a Germany Study Visa?
Here is a checklist of the required documents to apply for a Germany Study Visa:
- Two filled-out national visa application forms
- A valid national passport.
- Two biometric portrait photographs taken recently.
- Proof of admission to a German academic institution. (Send any of the following.)
-University admission letter “Zulassungsbescheinigung”.
-Letter of admission in a foundation course. Issued by a Studienkolleg.
-Letter of admission in the propaedeutic course.
-Letter of admission in a preparatory German language course.
- Proof of German language proficiency. (For German-only and mixed-language study programs).
- Proof of English language proficiency. (For English and mixed-language study programs).
- Authenticated certificates of earlier education.
- Curriculum vitae. It must be accompanied by proof of previous and current internship and work experience, if applicable.
- Means of subsistence “Finanzierungsnachweis”. The evidence you provide must demonstrate that you have enough money to cover your living, housing, and educational expenses.
- Student health insurance. It must cover at least 30,000 EUR and be valid for at least three months.
- Motivational letter. You must explain why you chose the specific university and study program. Mention your studies and plans, as well as how they will benefit your career and life.
- Marriage certificate. (Send this if you’re married) along with a birth certificate of any child (If related).
- Proof of having paid the Germany Study Visa application fee.
-German Language University Entrance Examination for International Applicants (DSH).
-Test of German as a Foreign Language (TestDaF).
-Goethe Institute German Language Diploma (GDS).
-German Language Diploma of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs, Level II (DSD).
-Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Either paper-based test (PbT) - 550 Points, computer-based test (CbT) - 213 Points or internet-based test (IbT) - 79-80 Points.
-The International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Accepted scores by German universities are 5 – 6.5.
-German university entrance qualification “Abitur”. If you’ve studied in a German education provider abroad. (If not, send the following documents).
-Foreign academic qualification recognized as the German Abitur.
-Academic records or transcript.
What is the process to apply for a Germany Study Visa?
The application process for a Germany Study Visa can sometimes be a daunting process for many international students. The procedures are different from country to country, but you can have a general overview of the main steps you need to go through below.
STEP 1: Locate The Closest German Embassy or Consulate
You can use Google to find an embassy or consulate near you in your country (or another nearby country) to learn more about the requirements and schedule a visa appointment. All official German missions oversea have an official website that includes their physical address and contact information.
STEP 2: Review The Requirements and Procedures
Once you've found the German embassy's website, go to the student visa sections to check all of your country's unique criteria as well as the procedures for scheduling a visa appointment. Before scheduling a visa appointment, thoroughly consider all of the information provided (particularly the documents you will need).
STEP 3: Set Up A Visa Appointment
When you're ready, make a visa appointment by following the instructions on the official website of the German consulate in your country. In some countries, you should apply for your visa appointment a few weeks ahead of time because that specific embassy may have a high volume of visa applications and may take longer to respond to you. Timing is key; occasionally all student visa interview slots are occupied. Act fast.
STEP 4: Have All Of The Visa Application Documents Ready
Once you've confirmed your visa appointment date, double-check all of your documents to ensure they're all in order. This step is tricky, seek guidance from a Germany Study Visa consultant.
STEP 5: Prepare For Your Visa Interview.
You must pay the visa application cost and submit the payment confirmation to your visa interview. If your visa is rejected, this cost is non-refundable. You can check the current exchange rate of your country's currency and pay the exact amount. You must prepare for your interview ahead of time. After the interview, you will be informed if your visa has been approved or rejected.Apply For Germany Study Visa
What is the cost of a Germany Study Visa?
Students must pay their visa fees by bank transfer. Credit cards and cheques are not accepted. The money order must be in the name of your home country's Embassy/Consulate and should be no more than two months old.
|Type Of Visa||Duration||Cost|
|National Visa||90 Days and More||75 EUR (6,200 INR)|
|Schengen Visa||Up to 90 Days||80 EUR (7088 INR)|
NOTE: You will not get reimbursed for the visa fee if your application for a Germany Study Visa gets rejected.
What is the processing time of a Germany Study Visa?
A German Study Visa takes 25 days to process. The processing period varies according to the country and the Embassy. German Embassy processing times can range from 6 to 12 weeks, with the longest being 3 months.
Top 10 Universities in Germany for International Students
Here are the top 10 universities in Germany that attract the highest numbers of international students.
- Technical University of Munich
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- Heidelberg University
- Humboldt University of Berlin
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- The Free University of Berlin
- RWTH Aachen University
- Technical University of Berlin
- Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen
- University of Freiburg
What are the benefits of a Germany Study Visa?
- No tuition fees at public universities in Germany.
- Excellent higher education staff members and infrastructure.
- Internationally recognized degrees.
- Study programs taught in English.
- Discover all aspects of life in Germany.
- Staying in Germany after your studies.
How Nationwide Visas Can Help You?
Process Time 9 weeks
Nationwide Visas has accumulated a treasure of goodwill and exhaustive experience over the last 15 years in this dynamic immigration industry and has constantly facilitated a wide range of aspiring immigrants to achieve their overseas goals.
We are among the top-most brands in the Immigration sector being a highly reliable immigration firm with an outstanding track record of several thousands of triumphant PR Visa applications. The following major factors make us the Best Study Abroad Consultant :
Our Consultation is offered by authorized and licensed Immigration Consultants
Step-by-Step guidance through eligibility and process
We maintain a Secure Online Process & transparency
System of Complaint Redress for any process
Experience of having processed more than 30,000 applications
Every Case is assessed multiple times before submission
Easy evaluation of the qualifications and other skills
Get a call within 55 seconds