New Zealand Study Visa: Types, Requirements, Process, and Cost
If you are an international student planning on studying in New Zealand, you would be mandated to
apply for a New Zealand Study Visa for a term of at least 3 months.
If you are a New Zealand citizen, hold a New Zealand residence class visa, or hold a military visa – you won’t
require a Study Visa.
Begin your "Study in New Zealand" Journey with India's #1 Study Visa
Here’s everything you need to know about applying for a New Zealand Study Visa.
Types of New Zealand Study Visa
- Fee Paying Study Visa: Study full-time for up to 4 years with a part-time working option.
- Exchange Study Visa: Study full-time for up to 4 years for an approved student exchange
- Government Support Study Visa: Study full-time for up to 4 years on a government loan or
- Pathway Study Visa: Study full-time for up to 5 years for 3 consecutive courses on a single
study permit and be eligible to work part-time.
What is the eligibility for a New Zealand Study Visa 2023?
Here are the eligibility criteria for a New Zealand Study Visa. To qualify, you’ll need:
- To get accepted for a course/program at a New Zealand institute approved by the New Zealand Qualifications
Authority (NZQA) or the Ministry of Education.
- To demonstrate sufficient proof of funds or a scholarship that pays your fees.
- To demonstrate proof of minimum language proficiency.
Check Your Eligibility In 60 Seconds
- Showcase a return ticket to your home country from New Zealand.
What are the requirements for a New Zealand Study Visa 2023?
Here’s a complete checklist of the requirements for a New Zealand Study Visa:
- Confirmation of an offer from an NZ university.
- Proof of funds to support yourself during your stay in NZ.
- Passport standard photographs.
- Police clearance certificate.
- Medical and travel insurance.
- English language proficiency test results (at least IELTS 5.5 and above).
- Proof of onward travel or enough funds to buy transport home.
Depending on the visa type you apply under, you may also be required to submit other supporting documents.
What is the process to apply for a New Zealand Study Visa 2023?
Here’s a 5-step easy process to apply for a New Zealand Study Visa. The following steps are
generic, where – certain steps may vary depending on the visa type you apply for.
STEP 1: Receive an offer letter
Get selected by the university or institute to study in, and receive an acceptance offer letter. You can visit
the official website of the university to know more about the courses/programs. You will also be required to pay
the mandate fees (if any) and supporting documents in this step.
STEP 2: Gather medical and police clearance certificates
Once you have received the acceptance letter, you will need to undergo a medical examination. This examination
will justify that you are in good condition to travel to New Zealand. Same way, you will also be required to
submit a police clearance report stating that you hold no criminal record(s).
STEP 3: Submit your visa application
Visit the online portal and apply for a New Zealand Study Visa. Here, you need to fill in the asked credentials
and submit the supporting documents. Make sure you fill in all the details accurately – and that your documents
are relevant, and up to date.
STEP 4: Pay the fees
If successful, you will receive the “Approval in Principle” (AIP). Once you’ve received the AIP, you will need to
submit the tuition fee for at least your first year to the respective university/institution – alongside other
charges such as accommodation and transportation.
STEP 5: Wait for the outcome
Once you’ve submitted your visa application and have paid the fees, the immigration officials will notify you of
the outcome of your New Zealand Study Visa application through email. If accepted, you will receive your
What is the cost of a New Zealand Study Visa 2023?
The New Zealand Study Visa fees depend on the nationality of the applicant. The government of New Zealand
follows a system of three bands:
- Band A: For applicants who are in NZ and are required to submit an application.
- Band B: For applicants who belong to Pacific nations.
- Band C: For applicants from all other na
|Student Visa Type
||Fees for applicants from Band A (NZ$)
||Fees for applicants from Band B(NZ$)
||Fees for applicants from Band C (NZ$)
||Immigration Charge (NZ$)
|Visa through Education Provider
What is the processing time of a New Zealand Study Visa 2023?
A New Zealand Study Visa takes around 20 days to process. The processing period varies
according to the country and the Embassy. New Zealand Embassy processing times can range from 4 to 8 weeks, with
the longest being 3 months.
Apply For New Zealand Study Visa
Top 10 Universities in New Zealand for International Students
Here are the top 10 universities in New Zealand that attract the highest numbers of international students.
- The University of Auckland
- Auckland University of Technology
- Manukau Institute of Technology
- Victoria University of Wellington
- Unitec Institute of Technology
What are the benefits of a New Zealand Study Visa?
- Fewer chances of visa rejections.
- Work while studying options.
- Quick and easy application process.
- Minimum documentation required.
- An array of courses/programs to choose from.
- Scholarships for international students.
How Nationwide Visas Can Help You?
Process Time 9 weeks
Nationwide Visas has accumulated a treasure of goodwill and exhaustive experience over the last 16+ years in
this dynamic immigration industry and has constantly facilitated a wide range of aspiring immigrants to achieve their
We are among the top-most brands in the Immigration sector being a highly reliable
immigration firm with an outstanding track record of several thousands of triumphant PR Visa applications. The
following major factors make us the Best Study Abroad
Get a call within 55 seconds