Canada Immigration: From Temporary Resident to Permanent Residence

Canada Immigration: From Temporary Resident to Permanent Residence

Manmeet Kaur Manmeet Kaur
[Published 28 Apr, 2024 | 06:01 AM]
About Author - 7 min read

The Government of Canada started the Temporary Public Resident to Permanent Resident Pathway (TR to PR Pathway) back on May 6, 2021 - to provide immigration options to essential workers, international graduates, and French-speaking workers

After its success, the program was terminated on November 6, 2021, increasing immigrants' interest in exploring other pathways to convert their temporary residence to permanent residence. 

If you’re a temporary resident in Canada who wishes to apply for Canada PR and access a wider array of benefits, explore various immigration pathways mentioned in this blog.

Apply for Canada PR Visa

Temporary Residency vs Permanent Residency

Before we dive into the immigration routes, it is important to know the differences between TR and PR. 

Temporary Residency (TR)

This visa refers to people who are in Canada for a limited amount of time. For instance, students, workers on temporary work permits, or visitors. With this visa, you cannot stay for more than the defined length of your stay and cannot access many social benefits.

Permanent Residency (PR)

PR, on the other hand, grants you access to live and work anywhere in Canada and access social benefits like healthcare and social services. Permanent residents in Canada can live, work, study, and travel but are not allowed to vote and are subject to residency obligations to maintain their status. After spending a certain amount of time in Canada, PRs can apply for citizenship. 

Immigration Pathways to Convert TR to PR

The journey from being a temporary resident in Canada to becoming a permanent one is not as easy as it seems. But there are many immigration pathways offered by the government of Canada, each with unique criteria, processes, and requirements - you must meet to make this a success.

  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

Temporary residents who have gained Canadian work experience are eligible to apply for Canadian Experience Class (CEC), one of the Express Entry managed streams. However, your work experience must be in a skilled occupation for at least one year. Other requirements include language proficiency. You can apply for CEC if you intend to live outside of Quebec.

CEC is one of the best programs to go from TR to PR as you already are familiar with the Canadian workforce and are more likely to blend in seamlessly than a newcomer. If you have foreign educational credentials, you must get an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) done to prove they are equivalent to Canadian standards. Meet other requirements of the program to apply.

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

One of the fastest ways to get Canada PR from India is to apply through Express Entry’s Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP). This immigration pathway is best for those without Canadian work experience but who have strong professional skills and work experience for in-demand occupations in Canada. 

To quality, check your eligibility for Canada PR using a 67-point calculator, which assesses your profile based on your age, education, work experience, language skills, and adaptability factors. You need 67 out of 100 points to qualify for FSWP. Once you are in the pool, your CRS score is assigned according to which you are selected by IRCC in one of the Express Entry draws. 

Immigration Pathways to Convert TR to PR

  • Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs)

PNPs are the second best way to get PR in Canada. Every province in Canada, except Quebec and Nunavut, has unique skill requirements to meet their labour market gaps. Thus, they hire candidates who demonstrate specific in-demand skills and work experience required by the provinces and territories.

You can either choose to apply through Express Entry-aligned streams or get a direct nomination. Indians who have strong ties to a specific province or have a job offer from an employer in that province are more likely to get a provincial nomination.

  • Quebec Experience Program (PEQ)

If you have completed your education or have work experience in the province of Quebec, then you may be eligible to apply for the Quebec Experience Program (PEQ). As Quebec is a French-speaking province, you are required to demonstrate French language proficiency.

Unlike PNPs, Quebec runs its own selection process as per its demands for in-demand occupations. In addition to this, you must meet other requirements as stated in the program.

  • Family Sponsorship

Next on the list we have Family Sponsorship to become a permanent resident in Canada. Under this program, permanent residents and citizens in Canada, if eligible, can sponsor their spouses, common-law partners, and dependent children to come to Canada as permanent residents.

Family Sponsorship is a popular Canadian immigration pathway for temporary residents with close family ties in Canada. Also, this route is less about the applicant’s professional profile and more about family reunification.

Talk to an Expert

  • Atlantic Immigration Program (AIP)

Specially designed for skilled workers and international graduates who wish to live and work in one of the four Atlantic provinces - New Brunswick (NB), Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island (PEI), or Newfoundland and Labrador (NL). 

To apply for AIP, you need to gain at least one year of full-time and paid work experience in the past 5 years and secure a full-time job offer from a designated employer in an Atlantic province.

  • Caregivers Program

If you wish to provide care for kids, senior citizens, or those who are disabled in Canada, apply for caregiving jobs in Canada and gain PR. There are two caregiver programs: Home child care providers (NOC 44100) and Home support workers, caregivers, and related occupations (NOC 44101).

If you wish to apply for one of these programs, you need to show work experience as a caregiver and meet other requirements like language skills. Caregiver Programs in Canada are designed to acknowledge the contribution of caregivers to Canadian families.

Canada PR Visa Approval in 60 Days | Nationwidevisas Reviews

Selecting the right program to transition from TR to PR is all about aligning your goals and situation with the immigration pathways that suit your profile. 

For professional guidance, connect with Nationwide Visas, one of the best immigration consultants in Hyderabad, who will assess your case, offering the best possible solution to apply for PR in Canada.

Get a free consultation session and determine the best option to apply for your situation.

Call us@ +91 92 92 92 92 81 or email us at

Good Luck!

Read More: IRCC announces changes to Canada's Temporary Foreign Worker Program


We welcome your feedback

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Enquire Now

Stay up to date with latest news

Website-Pop-UpExpress Entry Next Prediction Draw
Check Your Eligibility! chatbot icon
chatbot icon Check Your Eligibility In 60 Seconds!