Who can sponsor siblings for Canada PR from India?

Who can sponsor siblings for Canada PR from India?

Manmeet Kaur Manmeet Kaur
[Published 18 Apr, 2024 | 11:47 AM]
About Author - 6 min read

The Canadian government allows permanent residents and citizens of Canada to sponsor their family members for permanent residence in Canada. This can be seen in the Immigration Levels Plan 2024-2026, which aims to welcome 114,000 immigrants under the Family Sponsorship Program in 2024. By 2026, this number will rise to 118,000.

Under the Family Sponsorship Program, you can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, and dependent children, but what about siblings?

Immigrate to Canada with Family

Who can act as a sponsor?

To be eligible to sponsor family members for Canada PR from India, you must:

  • Your age must be at least 18 years.
  • You should be a permanent resident, a Canadian citizen, or an individual registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act in Canada.
  • You must be living in Canada unless you are eligible to sponsor your family members without being physically present in Canada and intend to return to Canada when the sponsored persons arrive in the country).
  • Sign an undertaking to provide basic facilities to the sponsored persons for a certain period.
  • You must have enough funds to support the sponsored individual(s).

Conditions to Sponsor Siblings to Canada from India as PR

You can sponsor relatives such as a brother, sister, aunt, or uncle in certain situations only. Your siblings can only be sponsored for Canada PR from India if they meet the criteria set by the Canadian government.

You can sponsor your siblings for Canada PR if:

  • They are related to you by blood or adoption
  • Both of their mother and father are no longer alive
  • They are under 18 years of age.
  • They are not married or in a common-law or conjugal relationship

You cannot sponsor your siblings for Canada PR if:

  • One of their parents is alive
  • No one has any information about the parents’ location
  • Their parents have abandoned them
  • Someone else is supporting them while one or both parents are alive
  • Their parent is in prison or otherwise imprisoned

Conditions to Sponsor Siblings to Canada from India as PR

Ways to bring your siblings to Canada if they cannot be sponsored

Siblings don’t often qualify for sponsorship. Therefore, you must find other pathways through which they can apply for Canada immigration and become a permanent resident. Here are your best options:

Option 1: Study Permit

Applying for a study permit is the best way to bring your siblings to Canada. After completing studies, it usually takes 2-3 years to get PR status on average, but if you are up for the challenge, you’re good to go.

Do this:

Step 1: Help your sibling look for diploma, degree, or certificate courses in Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) that they are willing to study. DLIs are the only educational institutions in Canada which accept international students. The length of the study program must be at least 8 months.

Step 2: Upon completing a study program successfully, your sibling will be eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). A PGWP enables international students to gain valuable Canadian work experience – essential for your PR application.

Step 3: With a PGWP in hand, they can work for any employer in Canada. Your sibling requires at least 12 months of work experience in a full-time, skilled occupation, listed under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) codes 0, A, or B.

Step 4: Apply for Canada PR with 12 months of experience. Their options include Canadian Experience Class (CEC), Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs), and Quebec Immigration. 

Step 5: If your sibling receives an Invitation to Apply (ITA) based on their points in the CRS score calculator, they can submit a complete PR application. The processing of their application via Express Entry will take 5-6 months. Once your documents are verified and IRCC is satisfied, they will receive a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR), allowed to live and work in Canada.

Talk to an Expert

Option 2: LMIA-Approved Work Permits

If your siblings do not want to pursue an educational route in Canada, another way to help them is to obtain an LMIA-approved job offer in Canada. Employers in Canada always look for candidates with work experience and skills who can meet the local labour gaps.

To hire workers from foreign nationals, employers have to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from the Canadian government. They must provide proof that they were unable to fill the positions for certain roles with local residents and thus need to hire foreign workers, without affecting Canada’s economy.

If the government approves this request, your sibling will be allowed to build eligibility for Canadian PR through one of the country’s economic immigration programs.

Canada Spousal Open Permit Visa Approval in 60 Days

Need Help?

Connect with the best immigration consultants in Hyderabad to know your options to sponsor siblings to Canada via a free consultation. Our team of highly professional and qualified immigration experts is equipped with the ability to assess your case and advise the most suitable course of action for best serving your needs.

Call us@ +91 92 92 92 92 81 or email us at info@nationwidevisas.com

Read More: Processing Time to Bring Your Parents to Canada


We welcome your feedback

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Enquire Now

Stay up to date with latest news

Website-Pop-UpExpress Entry Next Prediction Draw
Check Your Eligibility! chatbot icon
chatbot icon Check Your Eligibility In 60 Seconds!