Who can you Sponsor for Canada PR from India?

Who can you Sponsor for Canada PR from India?

Sanjay Yadav Sanjay Yadav
[Published 30 Nov, 2023 | 02:32 PM]
About Author - 7 min read

“Who can I sponsor to come to Canada?” is the biggest question troubling the minds of permanent residents and citizens of Canada. Don’t fret as the Canadian government offers Family Sponsorship, an opportunity for PR holders and citizens to sponsor their loved ones to join them in this land of diverse opportunities.

If you are planning to apply for Canada PR visa from India, this blog explores the family members who can be sponsored for Canada immigration.

Immigrate to Canada with Family in 90 Days

Family Members Who Can Be Sponsored for Canada PR

Spouse or Common-Law Partner

Canada understands the importance of keeping families together and maintaining close family ties. Thus, offers opportunities to PR holders and citizens of Canada to bring their spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner to Canada through this sponsorship.

Under the Family Sponsorship Canada, you can sponsor:

  • Your spouse – to whom you are married legally.
  • Your common-law partner – whom you are not legally married to but have been living together for at least 1 year in a conjugal relationship.
  • Your conjugal partner – with whom you are not legally married or in a common-law relationship and they are residing outside Canada.
Spouses who are living in Canada may also be eligible to apply for a Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP). This permit allows the sponsored individuals to work in Canada while their sponsorship application is being processed. This permit is not specified to a specific Canadian employer, which means the spouse can work for any employer in the country with the LMIA requirement.

To qualify for spousal or common-law partner sponsorship, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age and a PR holder or citizen of Canada.
  • Show proof of funds to support yourself and the basic needs of your spouse or partner.
  • Show documents that prove that your relationship with the sponsored individual is real.

Dependent Children

Keeping families intact is the main aim of the Family Sponsorship program and therefore, allows you to sponsor dependent children and other family members to Canada from India. 

Here are a few conditions to sponsor your kids to Canada –

  • Your child must be under 22 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship to be considered a dependent.
  • If they are over 22 years of age, the only way they can be considered dependent is if they are physically or mentally incapable of providing for themselves.
To qualify under this program –

  • You and your child must be approved by IRCC to receive a visa.
  • You must prove your relationship with your dependent child either by a birth certificate or adoption papers.

Parents and Grandparents

You can bring your parents and grandparents to Canada. However, the sponsorship process for them is subject to quotas and can be highly competitive. Therefore, it is important that your parents and grandparents check eligibility for Canada PR for a successful sponsorship.

To sponsor your parents and grandparents for Canada immigration, you must –

  • be a citizen of Canada or a permanent resident currently residing in Canada.
  • be at least 18 years old.
  • be the child or grandchild of the individual(s) you are sponsoring.
  • have enough funds to support the people you are sponsoring.
  • sign an agreement if you live in Quebec.

Steps to Apply for Family Class Sponsorship

Siblings, Nieces, and Nephews

The sponsorship program mainly focuses on the immediate family members – spouse, parents/grandparents, and dependent children. However, there are limited provisions where you can sponsor other relatives, including siblings, nieces, and nephews.

Keep in mind that these cases typically involve very complex eligibility requirements and the sponsor must show a lack of close relatives in Canada to qualify under the program. Seeking professional advice will be the best option when considering these sponsorship options.

Orphaned Family Members

In some very unfortunate situations where a family member is orphaned, the citizens and permanent residents may be able to sponsor nieces, nephews, brothers, or sisters. That said, you must meet specific eligibility criteria and provide proof that the family member is indeed orphaned and in need of sponsorship for their well-being.

Check Your Eligibility In 60 Seconds

Steps to Apply for Family Class Sponsorship

Follow the steps given below to apply for Family Class Sponsorship.

Step 1 – Make sure you meet the eligibility requirements to be a sponsor.

Step 2 – Make sure your family members or relatives you wish to sponsor qualify for the Family Class Sponsorship.

Step 3 – Next, you need to apply at the federal level to the Ministry of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). If you reside in Quebec, apply at the provincial level to the Ministry of Immigration, Francization, and Integration (MIFI). Submit your sponsorship application with complete details and your PR status applications of the sponsored individual(s) together. Once you are verified to be eligible to sponsor, the immigration authorities will review your application.

Step 4 – Pay the fee for the family sponsorship application.

Step 5 – Send your sponsorship application to the correct address.

Processing time:

Sponsorship applications take around 12 months to process from start to finish. Generally, they are not processed much faster than 12 months but can take longer, depending on the nature of your case.

Canada Immigration Levels Plan 2024 -26 Announced | What To Expect?

Ready to build a new life with your loved ones in Canada?

Having a clear understanding of the eligibility requirements and application process is crucial for a successful immigration. Therefore, you must seek advice from the Best Immigration Consultants in Delhi, Nationwide Visas. From offering free counseling sessions to visa assistance, and post-landing services, immigration experts at Nationwide Visas can make the entire process as smooth as possible.

Good luck!

Read More on Quora: I want to move to Canada, but I don't have any relatives or friends in Canada, nor a job offer.



I am redy

1 Replies


@P.S.Upatissa Thanks for Showing your interest in a Canada Family Sponsorship Program. For more details, feel free to call us at:+91-9292929281 or Mail us at: info@nationwidevisas.com.

We welcome your feedback

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Enquire Now

Stay up to date with latest news

Website-Pop-UpExpress Entry Next Prediction Draw
Check Your Eligibility! chatbot icon
chatbot icon Check Your Eligibility In 60 Seconds!