How to Extend a Study Permit

The majority of individuals who intend to study in Canada must have a valid study permit. If an international student takes longer than the expected time to complete his/her program of study, or if he/she has shifted to a lengthier program of study, the individual will most certainly need to request for the extension of his/her study permit. To renew the permit, the international student must apply to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to extend their stay as a student in Canada.

Check your eligibility for Canada Study Permit

Unless otherwise noted, this application must be submitted electronically. The Canadian government requires that most of the temporary residence applications which are submitted from within Canada should be submitted electronically, including:

  • All applications for extensions of temporary resident status are submitted from within Canada.
  • All applications from within Canada for study or work visas.
  • All applications from within Canada for renewals of study or work permits.

  • The student should plan ahead of time to ensure that this application is submitted before their current permit expires.

As long as the application is submitted before this deadline, you will be permitted to continue in Canada as a student through implied status, until a decision on the extension application is made and as long as the terms of their permission have not been altered. However, if the permit's restrictions have altered, the candidate will not be able to enjoy the implied status and must wait for a decision on his/her application. If a student does not apply for an extension before their permit expires, they can apply for a restoration of the status within the next 90 days of permit expiry. 

If you want some changes in your permit, such as changing study levels, changing institutions, etc. an extension on the permit may not be enough, in such instances, you may need to apply for a new permit.

 Free Assessment Form

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

Individuals from such a country that requires a visa to enter Canada, should be aware of the fact that their Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) will most likely to get expired with the expiry of their permit. Your study permit allows you to participate in academic activities whereas the TRV allows admission and re-entry into Canada. If you want to travel outside of Canada while studying, you may need to renew your TRV. Therefore maintaining a valid TRV is not required for an individual studying in Canada.

Quebec Study Permit Extension

International students in the province of Quebec must have both a valid permit and a valid certificate d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ). If an international student chooses to continue his/her studies after the expiry date given on their CAQ, they must apply to the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité, et de l'Inclusion for a new CAQ (MIDI).

Fulfill your Canadian permanent residence dream with Nationwide Visas

Nationwide Visas is well-known for its immigration counseling services, which help domestic candidates to get admission into their selected program/university and to reach their desired study/work or travel abroad nation. Our expert immigration counselors are ready to help you in every possible manner to achieve your Canadian permanent residence dream.

Check your eligibilty in 60 Seconds

How Nationwide Visas Can Help You?

CICC Registered


Hand Holding Support

Hand Holding

True & Transparent

True &

Process Time 9-12 Months

Process Time
9-12 Months

We at Nationwide Visas have assisted thousands of individuals to successfully Immigrate To Canada with their families through the Express Entry Program. Our qualified and experienced Immigration Experts are equipped with the proficiency to accurately assess your case and advise the most suitable course of action for best serving your needs. 

Nationwide Visas has accumulated a treasure of goodwill and exhaustive experience over the last 16+ years in this dynamic immigration industry and has constantly facilitated a wide range of aspiring immigrants to achieve their overseas goals. 

We are among the top-most brands in the Immigration sector being a highly reliable immigration firm with an outstanding track record of several thousands of triumphant PR Visa applications. The following major factors make us the Best Immigration Consultant for a Canada PR Visa: 

Our Consultation is offered by authorized and licensed Immigration Consultants

Step-by-Step guidance through eligibility and process

We maintain a Secure Online Process & transparency

System of Complaint Redress for any process

Experience of having processed more than 30,000 applications

Every Case is assessed multiple times before submission

Easy evaluation of the qualifications and other skills


Get a call within 55 seconds

Get a call within 55 seconds

Our Media Mentions

Website-Pop-UpCanada Express Entry Latest Draw