Malaysia Study Visa: Types, Requirements, Process, and Cost
With top-notch education standards, Malaysian universities have become a hot favorite with international students from across the globe. At present, Malaysia is home to more than 170,000 students from over 162 countries – studying in its globally renowned universities. International students planning on studying in Malaysia are required to apply for a Malaysia Study Visa.
Types of Malaysia Study Visa
The government of Malaysia only offers one type of Study Visa – the Student Pass. In order to be able to study at a Malaysian university, international students are required to apply for a Student Pass, which acts as a Malaysia Study Visa.
What is the eligibility for a Malaysia Study Visa?
Students planning on completing an undergraduate course/program in Malaysia must have completed:
- STPM (Sijil Tinggi Persekolham Malaysia) with principal level passes
- UEC (Unified Examination Certificate) with 75% marks
- Matriculation certificate
- Polytechnic certificate (if any)
Students planning on completing a postgraduate course/program in Malaysia must have completed:
- Bachelor’s degree (from a well-known private/public university)
- Pre-masters course (If any)
- International students aspiring to study in Malaysia must have completed an internationally recognized English Proficiency exam such as IELTS and TOEFL. The minimum score required for IELTS is 6 while for TOEFL is 500.
- The Malaysian government equips every international student qualifying to study in Malaysia – with a Student Pass. International students are not allowed to begin a course without a valid Student Pass.
- Students are eligible for a Student Pass only if they have already been accepted for a full-time course/program in a university in Malaysia. Part-time, evening and weekend courses/programs do not qualify.
What are the requirements for a Malaysia Study Visa?
While applying for a Malaysia Study Visa, you would be mandated to gather the following documents:
- Completed student visa application form with signature.
- Offer letter from the selected university.
- Two passport-size photographs
- Two copies of your valid passport
- Academic transcripts of records
- Proof of security and personal bond
- Proof of financial support
- Proof of full-time course of study approved by the Minister of Home Affairs
If any, your choice of university will notify you of additional requirements prior to processing your Malaysia Study Visa application.
What is the process to apply for a Malaysia Study Visa?
STEP 1: Get accepted from a Malaysian university: Earn a formal acceptance letter from the preferred university, pay the enrollment fee, and book a slot for the upcoming intake.
STEP 2: Get a Student Pass: Your chosen university contacts the immigration authorities in Malaysia to register a Student Pass application on your behalf.
STEP 3: Gather the required documents: Do this in advance, and gather all the supporting documents mentioned in the checklist mentioned in this previous section. You’ll be required to send these documents to your university so that they can complete the application process.
STEP 4: Pay the processing fee: Pay the mandated fee for the Malaysia Study Visa application as well as the government application fee.
STEP 5: Await a decision: The immigration authorities will notify you of the outcome of your application within a week.
STEP 6: Receive a letter of approval: If successful, the university will now send you a Visa Approval Letter (VAL), which is a provisional student pass that allows you to enter the country.
STEP 7: Collect your Student Pass: Once you’ve arrived in Malaysia, you’ll need to collect your official Student Pass from the designated center.
What is the cost of a Malaysia Study Visa?
International Students applying for a Malaysia Study Visa must pay the following fees. Depending on the program, university, and nature of the application, the charges may vary. However, the below-mentioned costs are mandatory.
|Fee Type ||Less than 6 months||Between 6 and 12 months |
|New Student Processing Fee ||500RM||1000RM |
|eVAL ||150RM||150RM |
|iKad ||50RM||50RM |
|Medical ||250RM||250RM |
What is the processing time for a Malaysia Study Visa?
Processing times for Malaysia Study Visa may vary if you have submitted an incomplete application or have a complex case. The current processing time for Malaysia Study Visa is 4 to 6 weeks.
Waiting times for your visa interview vary wildly between countries.
Top 10 Universities in Malaysia for International Students
Here are the top 10 universities in Malaysia that attract the highest numbers of international students.
- Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
- Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
- Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM)
- Universiti Teknologi Petronas
- Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM)
- Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM)
- International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM)
- Multimedia University (MMU)
What are the benefits of a Malaysia Study Visa?
- Wide range of courses and programs.
How can we help?
Applying for a Malaysia Study Visa is a complex and time-consuming process. Working with registered immigration consultants and study visa experts at Nationwide Visas will make sure that you are fully prepared and informed on the Malaysia Study Visa prerequisites, laws, eligibility, and documents.